- For the first week, search for food and a backpack. Go to Murmansk, search the garage to get tools and bicycle parts, then disassemble the broken bike in the post office to get a fully functional bike.
- Do not eat or drink without cooking or purifying foods. Cooked food reduces more hunger and provides other stats. Purify toxic water with charcoal to product dirty water and boil dirty water to produce clean water.
- When you find your broken Makarov, break it down for the Flint-Axe receipt. Tear clothing and cloth to produce materials for a full set of clothing.
- Cities: While searching cities, keep an eye on your radiation levels to avoid radiation sickness. Don't sleep in cities. Lighting a campfire in a structure may end up burning it down, destroying all goods inside (but producing a lot of charcoal). Bringing a light source while searching decreases search time and may help ward off attacks.
- Drink vodka to lower you radiation levels as necessary (but be aware that it increases exhaustion)
- Try to find or make a weapon. Its very important to guard yourself.
- Limit the use of medicine, especially alcohol. Pick up and keep all medicine you find, including components and survival items used to stitch you up (alcohol, needles, thread, bandages, etc.).
- Improve your skills as often as possible to increase your survivability. Max out the sewing skill by tearing up cloth into rag, sew it into "rag cap"(footcloth is better) & tear it again (repeat until maxed out)
- Make calculated decisions. Something as mundane as searching a building in the dark can have disastrous consequences.
- Do not attack bandits if you aren't ready to beat them.
- Do not carry more than you need, food weapons, items for repair or important. You can always find items down the track.
- If you drop items on the map, they'll be marked with a special symbol so you can come back for them later.
- Avoid extreme radiation zones, denoted by a giant red circle on the map.
- Take info from objects. Many objects have a medium use life and will break accordingly.
- If you use a motor vehicle, always keep an eye on fuel. Best to use motorcycle until you arrived on the Survivor Base for efficiency.
- Rafts don't use fuel or break down but only work on bodies of water. Note that not all rivers are water. It is best to construct a new raft when needed rather than carry one over land.
- Beware of weather effects and natural disasters such as earthquakes, blizzards, dust storms, acid rain, etc. Details about these effects can be found on the Location screen.
- Kindle a fire before sleeping to avoid rats stealing your food. This has the added benefit of resting faster and using less food. Make camp in forests and use an axe to get the wood that you need rather than carrying it.
Part of Tutorial - Nikel
- Intersections in cities, garages, etc. have vehicles that you can drain gas from. Torn cloth can be used to make torches.
- There is also a broken bicycle, go back when level sewing to level 2 for knapsack .
Basic Tips Edit
- Watch your radiation levels. Never go over 40.
- Watch your Intoxication < 20 (in the Character menu)
- To lower radiation,
- sleep outside town.
- Vodka or other spirits. Keep a close eye on fatigue when using this method.
- Anti-radiation pills.
- Mushrooms It's recommended to use Violet mushrooms ,not white mushrooms since they give you 100 fatigue and you can get blindness for months. Blindness reduces your search and attack starting at about 10% each and it gets worse as it goes on and reaching up to near 50%. You can eat if you don't care about taking more time when searching or you don't encounter battles.
- Always purify drinking water with a pot and fire before drinking.
- Never start a fire in a building or you will risk burning it down. Any items in the location inventory will be lost but this is a great way to get a lot of charcoal.
- An axe is useful as a weapon and cutting wood faster if you need to shelter and/or build a fire.
- Avoid eating uncooked food (The time cost to cook is worth the time you are stuck resting for days for months to recover. You can spend that time in sleeping/looting!) unless you're perfectly healthy, then you can take some poisoning without problems.
- Use a Raft + bicycle and cart)[yes for bicycle and cart, no for raft]
- No fuel required (and no extra weight, if equipped),
- cheap to build.
- large carrying capacity
- much faster than walking (sail instead of walking along a river!)
- Many cities around water can be looted efficiently that way
- Gas and Diesel are generally scarce resources, so use them sparingly.(Use mostly raft + bicycle + motorcycle + minimal inventory... KamAZ only for carrying Diesel for completing the Moving city quest)[No, they are not rare anymore, think gas station, also cars consumption has been buffed]
- Use the markers.
- Don't swim, the movement speed is 1/8 of your actual stat. You must take the baypass(or use a Raft - very helpful in the beginning, as well as for reaching islands)[Nobody uses islands in early game, don't use raft-too heavy, just use the baypass]
- Remember to keep your eye on your Fuel.You can also distribute fuel in key points, so that you refill your fuel.Carrying all fuel at once is the best, if you can carry. You can get more from gas station, and trading in survivors' camps.</span>
- It is a good idea to carry a bicycle and some spare parts and toolkit, in your vehicle. In case you need an emergency vehicle(use motorcycle outside of cities and bicycle inside to save fuel)[use cart in city and a VAZ/UAZ/car to travel outside]
- Always bring spare parts for your vehicle with you(true for bike. However, for Motorcycle only do it for a long journey through sparsely populated areas; usually auto/motorcycle parts are everywhere and they're heavy, so don't carry too much)[auto parts are scarce and light enough, always bring a lot]
- Inventory management is key in this game - Always try to have minimum items on you and keep extra food and also medicines since they are quite light and useful.If overloading, don't afraid to drop some food or pure water at camps since when you come back to visit cities near that camps, you can restock your food supply. And food rots even if you aren't carrying them so eat before it rots!
- Don't underestimate enemies, fight them only if you're ready.(true, in general evade serious enemies like boars+, because a leg injury sets you back with 4-10 days)[leg injuries aren't that bad, splints are cheap and you won't bleed out]
- ALWAYS, ALWAYS AND ALWAYS, take the statistics from weapons and armors. It's much easier to kill a bandit with Leather Clothes and a Mosin-Nagant, and Never with a Rag Cap And a Brick!(Best gear is the Steel (Chitin is second best) armour + gas mask + Tourist backpack + leather cloak/bulletproof vest)[tear bulletproof vest for steel later on, belaz and helicopter works too. You don't need diesel, just switch to helicopter if you have it and rain hell]
- ALWAYS keep the idea of survival in mind.(That means watch your exhaustion < 80-90%MAX, radiation(<40!) and poisoning<20, otherwise you get nasty diseases)[ poisoning can go up to 50 if you have flemicillin available, radiation should always be under 40, and exhaustion if you are fighting muroran/jilin can go up if you have alphacelon available on hand]
- Be ready for treating any Wound or Disease.(That means having ~10-20 of each medicine... mushrooms also help a lot, if you know how to use them(for details see the Food page))[green mushroom is the best for radiation]
- You must be afraid to take a disease - it makes your life hell. From a simple "Insomnia" to more dangerous disease like Lunar Disease, Intestinal Ulcer, Desert Fever.(a hint for fighting disease is staying at a nearby base for a couple of days/weeks/months - very helpful against radiation poisoning, which is generally lethal otherwise)[Radiation poisoning isn't that lethal anymore, a dose of pickles should set the poisoning right and visit some hospitals/pharmacies for byrocarm and kazotein to fix exhaustion.]
- Take the info from everything. you never know from who, where and when you receive the stab.
[You will know the Cerebral Concussion, Lesion In Spine, And Acid Burn?? or the poisoning from eat Mushrooms??] (Poisoning happens from intoxication, which is caused by many other things- cigarettes, coffee, Pepsi ... and you should treat injuries as soon as possible to decrease their effect(from the Character menu => Diseases/injuries))[intoxication was removed in the last update]
- Treat your wounds immediately, don't bleed out.
- Scavenge Everything, with more items discovered, and places you're able to find them, your survival chance increases.(That's actually a waste of time - you need only certain items(colloidal sulfur, potassium nitrate, sulfuric acid, batteries, radio parts, (sugar and coffee?) + fuel... and you don't even need to carry it with you, only use it when necessary and you're close)[Nothing is a waste of time, the more stuff you have(barring furniture) the better if you can carry it]
- Don't make unnecessary items.(unless you need to level up and have useless building materials)[It's still a waste of time where you could be traveling or trading]
- Be resourceful. All items, from a Firewood To "Commander's Watch" are very valuable. the items don't re-spawn.(However, there are infinite spawns of Firewood, water, mushrooms, but finite spawns of watches, so some items are more valuable than others, not to mention that you can cheat with durability and basically obtain indestructible items, especially if they last very long like the watches... see below for explanation)[Watches don't have durability anymore, there are not that many watches anyways]
- ALWAYS keep in mind the idea of hunt. the weapons like Hunter "Knife" or ammo never NEVER respawn, and they are rare. Wrong, in the waste land near the first active bandit camp, you will find lone bandit's, they drop ammo, and hunter knifes. (Or simply don't fight, unless it is necessary or you need the reward bounty- use the ESCAPE option - it saves you a lot of injuries and time) [If your armor is good you should always fight- with raw fatback and enough xp stew meat is very tasty]
- Do not trash items without studying them. Sugar, for example, is a VERY VERY useful item, from making Vodka, to Synthesizing medicines, Also Craft Rocket Fuel! necessary to assemble ammo to Handmade Rocket! Take Now or Never!
- An item, NEVER becomes useless. All items must be usable to everything.(not true - Rope, Nails, Insulation tape, Steel cable and many foods are abundant and rarely used and should not be gathered and carried in large quantities)[all should be kept, if you are running low then you can use stuff from your stores-you will be thankful, if no space then don't search areas like grocery stores then, and furniture is useless because of wasteland wood]
- Water and food is the most valuable item, along with ammo.(but don't carry too much - 15-25 bottles of Pure water + some cookable food + portable oven is the best idea - food is abundant around the map and will slow you down if you carry too much with you)[rusks are light and a good source of food if you bring a primus stove with you to make water with]