Quest for the BelAZ.
Head to Mirny and talk to Vladimir. He'll tell you all about his plans to build the greatest wasteland conquering machine of all time. He just needs a little help and then he'll agree to let you be "steersman".
Unfortunately, a little help happens to be a ridiculous list of materials. So the BelAZ is your goal, I would recomend you start accumulating these items from Day 1.
MAKE NO MISTAKE - THIS IS THE HARDEST, MOST TIME CONSUMING QUEST IN THE GAME. EXPECT MINIMUM 20 HOURS OF GRIND TO COMPLETE THIS LIST. Full set of recommendations of how to acquire each item is listed below.
To complete the quest you'll need to acquire:
- 1000 Pure water
- 10 Steel tools
- 500 Auto spare parts
- 1,000 Iron pipe
- 100,000 Scrap metal
- 100,000 Steel
- 100,000 Lead
- 10,000 Nail
- 10,000 Wire
- 1,000 Insulating tape
- 10 Whiskey
- 50,000 Machine oil
Things you will need to get/build/train for:
- House (Dugout / Wooden house / Brick house)
- Forge chimney,
- Steel making furnace,
- Also highly recommend making Glasshouses for potato and corn for food and trading.
- Cooking Skill - Level 8 max. for Whiskey
- Mechanical Skill - Level10 for KamAZ repair and Workbench
- Forging Skill - Level 6 for Barrels. Steel, Steel tools
- Chemistry Skill - Recommend Level 5 for Auto Batteries)
Also highly recommend making Glasshouses for potato and corn for food and trading.
You need to gather huge amounts of bricks, scrap metal, firewood and fire-bricks to make the requisite buildings so being closer to a city will save fuel/resources. You should already have completed the Electromobile quest and use this car to collect as much diesel and other resources as you can.
Honey and Acid are good items to get as they can be traded easily to Diesel or gas for moving materials
Let's do this one by one:
- 3x Part of the nuclear reactor - they come from Chernobyl which is in the far west. It's a small square on the map called "CNPP" almost direclty west of Moscow. They weigh 40 tons each which is a giant pain.
- 1000x Pure water - you should know where to get water by now!
- 10x Steel tools - can be made with the forging skill and steel. Easy enough given that you need 100k steel for this quest.
- 500x Auto spare parts - picked up from Car Workshop, Garage or in the road where broken cars sit.
- 1,000x Iron pipe - forged with scrap meta, can do 50 at a time.
- 50x Automotive Battery - acquired through trading flour for automotive batteries (100 flour = 1 automotive battery), my preferred method. Best way to do this is to use the moonshine trick - it will take multiple attempts and you may have to do multiple journeys with the fire-bricks, but you get batteries very quickly for it. Can also be made from broken automotive battery and 15 sulfuric acid. For 50 batteries, you will therefore need 750 sulfuric acid which is a huge amount. Flour can be acquired by trading 20 nails for 1 rice which can then be ground into 1 flour with the hand mill. This means you will need 100k nails which is actually pretty easy just a bit boring to grind through the making process. you can also build 6 greenhouses and plant corn (hunt and keep bones for trading with corn then plant it) in 8 month you will have enough flour by putting corn groats into flour and this can be whilst you are growing your 100 k steel or forging nails for diesel! by this method you will also have 6 greenhouse so that you will have all possible plants in your base later on and your weapon skill also gains some improvements !
- 100,000x Scrap metal - can collect from ruins or broken cars in the road, very heavy so will either need to make many trips or burn some diesel with the KamAZ
- 100,000x Steel - hardest and longest part of the quest. Steel making furnace needs to be built first which takes ages. After that, you need 1k coal to make approx 2k steel so to make 100k steel, you need 50k coal. Coal is made from charcoal piles which require 200 firewood to make approx 225 coal so you need approx 45k firewood so...get chopping that wood! Don't think that there is any way round this (You will save a lot of time if you use 2 Chainsaws and drop-pick technique(look at green paragraph below for explanation) to avoid re-fueling them. ).
- 100,000x Lead - easy to get from broken automotive batteries, approx 1.5k per battery. Batteries are quite heavy but can be found with broken cars in the road. You need approx 67 batteries to get 100k lead.
- 10,000x Nail - forged from scrap metal.
- 10,000x Wire - forged from scrap metal.
- 1,000x Insulating tape - found in many buildings and can also be traded at Sverdlovsk at 25 lead for 1 tape. To get 1k you would therefore need 25k lead which is 17 broken automotive batteries worth.
- 10x Whiskey - I got this from killing bandits in one of the bandit camps but you can also ferment it with the highest cookery skill. See cookery section for more info.
- 50,000x Machine oil - unbelievably tedious collection added 20/03/2017 with the new update to the game to totally screw me over (I quite literally was about to load up my KamAZ with the nuclear parts with all of the other things in the bag when this requirement was added!) Machine oil can be found in small quantities in broken cars and motorbikes and in larger quantities in Garage and Car Workshop. 50k is a huge amount, maximum you find at a time is about 2k and most cars only give 100 so this requirements takes lots of searching through cities for cars. Cannot currently be traded for, annoyingly.
To get the 3 reactor parts with your KamAZ you will need an incredible amount of diesel fuel. Just completed this quest and the journey requires approx 7 MILLION diesel. Collecting diesel will not cut it, there's nowhere near that much on the map and it will drive you nuts trying to find it all(actually it can - look at the Gas map - collect diesel around the survivor camps and also to the south-east. Don't use your KamAZ for other things except this quest and you should be able to do it). Buying it will also not work because in the latest update the generous devs decided to increase the price 5 fold so you would need about 15k caps to buy it all.
I finally achieved this in the most ridiculous way possible - I forged 175k nails took them in my KamAZ to trade for tea, then sugar, then cement, then coffee, then Chlorcistamin, then honey, then soap, then sulfuric acid and finally diesel! 1 sulfuric acid is worth 2k diesel so to get 7m you will need 175k nails and you will also need almost 1m diesel to make the journey. 175k nails weighs 7.5 tons so don't even think about trying to do it with any other vehicle, you'd have to make about 5 journeys and this is a long ass journey. Bear in mind that you will need a great deal of scrap metal and also prepared skins to forge the stupid bellows which constantly break during this process (you'll need at least 10)(again, use only 2 and drop-pick techniques to replenish durability. First see where the durability is increased - for Bellows that is on the ground or the one in your inventory...I think the one on the ground is used first(it is different for different items, e.g. Chainsaws, tools and Bone glue/I.tape are used on the ground first, while armor and weapons/crowbars/shovels are used in inventory first, but test it yourself to be sure ;-) )... Then you need to use Bellows until it is 60-90% used on the ground, then drop and pick one, so that you transfer the durability to the inventory and the Bellows on the ground is again 0% used... and then repeat the process ... that way you only ever need 2 Bellows/Chainsaws/Tools/Chemistry kits for a single camp.). In time terms, it should take around an hour of clicking "forge", loading up the forge chimney with coal, sleeping and eating.
TOP TIP: if you didn't know it already, push your character to the absolute limit of starvation before feeding/sleeping him. I normally go to around 70 on the death scale and around 310 on the tired scale before sleeping/eating to save time. Using those two numbers, if you eat before you rest, your character should almost exactly return to 0 on the death scale by the time hunger/thirst are back at 100 which means the it turns into a cycle.
TOP TIP 2: When you finally make it to Vlad the Lad with everything you need your KamAZ cannot carry everything at once because it's too heavy. Take each reactor part on top of him and drop it there one at a time, then bring everything else you need, then drive to him again, load everything into your inventory and talk to him and you can complete the quest.
Finally completed this quest on 25/03/2017 - I believe I might be the first after the new update - and let me assure you, it's worth it. The BelAZ is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! The most exciting thing, for me, was that it travels through water almost as fast as land! Enjoy.
PS: Do the Moving Town quest before you need the Helicopter for the Family Matters quest to save fuel. You can easily transport the helicopter in your brand new BelAZ